All About Linc


on June 25, 2012

February 5, 2012 – that day I woke up early because I wanted to clean the house. I remember that night I had the BEST sleep I had yet! I just felt so rested. I woke Sam up to help me power clean as we had our doula coming by for 10:00. After a quick power clean, Shallan our doula arrived. She went over what he role was, and how she would help. She even gave us tips on swaddling our baby – which Sam and I desperately needed. We were also going over a plan for backup doula’s as she was going on vacation in two days and I was due on February 20 (we didn’t think she would make it).

At 12:00 I was walking her down the stairs to let her out and I felt a large gush – I was touching myself inappropriately because I actually thought I peed my pants and was so embarrassed! She was looking at me funny, and I just said to her I think I peed myself! She laughed and said to call her if I actually had broken my water. I just shrugged it off and ran upstairs to investigate. Sam was using the toilet but I was a little flustered and pulled my pants down yelling I peed, I think I have to, I think I just peed myself!  Really just babbling and making no sense. After calming down I ran downstair to talk to Sam’s mom and we all agreed my water had broke!

I was filled with nerves as it was too soon, I still had two days left at work. I put that behind me and called the midwife, who couldn’t see us until later that day as she was resting from a birth. Sam and I decided to go have a meal together and go out to a friends house to watch the super bowl. We enjoyed our time and I just felt like I was dripping water without contractions – so I wasn’t convinced it was labour. That afternoon watching the game was hard to focus. We didn’t want anyone to know we could be having our baby early – but we were also so nervous! We finally heard from our midwife she said we could meet her at the office for 5:30.

5:30 took forever, but finally came. We snuck out, and we were filled with so many emotions. When we got to the office, our midwife checked to see if my water had broken with litmus papers – and she said it hadn’t and it was probably just some extra fluid.  It didn’t make sense to me because I kept getting gushes. None-the-less, we left her office disappointed. We went back to our friends place, but only to leave shortly after as we were so let down!

When we got home, we were getting into bed and I was feeling funny. I started to talk to Sam about it and went to use the bathroom.. instantly I knew labour was close. at about 10:00 that night I had my first contraction. I didn’t think it was happening yet and was in denial. We started to watch Alaska State Troopers as we timed each contraction. I know I was told to sleep through the beginning but THESE WERE PAINFUL! They started about 10 minutes apart and worked their way to 5 minutes apart within a few hours. Poor Sam was getting sick, and I was still in denial – I thought I was going to work that morning. I tried to get some work done inbetween contractions but they were coming fast and almost over top of one and other.

I instructed Sam to take a nap, and I would watch a movie. After  him trying to sleep and not succeeding – he checked my contraction app and realized we were way past the time when we should call the midwife. By this time it was 6am and we paged her – she didn’t really think it was labour but said she would come to our house to check. When she arrive she checked me and didn’t expect to be very dilated, but I was 3 cm – baby would be coming hopefully soon! We discussed going to the hospital soon, my birth plan (which wasn’t finished because we didn’t expect an early baby), and she said she would meet us there.

The drive to the hospital was rough, I was angry at Sam for hitting every bump (felt like it was on purpose!). When we arrived it took me a while to get in the door as my contractions wouldn’t stop. We met our midwife and doula in our room and I just layed on the bed and tried to concentrate. I didn’t move, drink water (which I should have), or say anything from 10:30 (when we arrived) until I was ready to push. When I was checked again I was 7cm, and everybody was shocked because they thought we wouldn’t be having our baby until later that evening.

Once it was time to push, things got a little dicey. They lost the baby’s heart beat – and they had to call in several doctors to monitor his birth. At one point they were going to move forward with a c-section when they couldn’t find him. Turns out his cord was so tight and short around his neck I couldn’t push him out. They used a vacuum and finally I pushed just enough for the doctor to cut the cord and he came right out. The doctors were concerned that the baby wasn’t breathing and they took him away from me to work on him. His first apgar was a 2, but the second was an 8. We were so lucky to give birth to a healthy baby BOY!!!

We named our little guy Lincoln and he weighed a whooping 7lbs, 7oz. We were THRILLED!

Our first family photo ❤ So instantly in love! ❤


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: